Tuesday 8 June 2010

The Running Shop Beach 10k Race Report (and Juneathon: Day 8)

When I signed up for The Running Shop Beach 10k I had visions of a lovely sunny evening down at the beach, clearly having temporarily forgotten I live in Aberdeen and mistaken it for somewhere with a pleasant temperate climate. My delightful vision was, of course, completely wrong. Wind. Rain. Cold. Runners huddled together for warmth at the start line. Etc. At least, unlike the last time I ran this race, there was no snow and ice underfoot.

It's a nice flat route, though, if a bit lacking in anything to look at other than grey sea and matching grey sky, and what with all the training I've been doing lately, I had definite PB hopes. Set off fastish, possibly a bit too fast I thought, but I felt OK and went through the first mile in 9:23. Second mile still felt OK and did it in 9:16, worried I was going too fast (as my plan was to stick to around 9:39 min/miles with a view to squeezing in under the hour). But I think the training is paying off and I am definitely getting faster, because I was still happily plodding along and did the third mile in 9:15. Wind and rain was playing havoc with my Garmin, though, which kept whizzing from screen to screen, and around the halfway point it suddenly occurred to me that I could, in fact, lock the bezel to stop it doing that, so I did, but not before I had accidentally stopped the timer and had to restart it again. Continued to plod and found myself actually overtaking some people, including the bananas who seem to do every race I ever go to and run at about the same pace. But I left the bananas far behind this time so I must be improving.

Did feel pretty rough in the last mile and was severely tempted to stop and walk (why? why does this always happen to me in races?) but managed to keep going and finally dragged myself over the finish line in, according to my Garmin, an amazing 57:43, a good 3.5 minutes better than my previous PB, and 5 minutes faster than the last time I ran this course, six months ago. (Official time might be slightly different as it took me several seconds to cross the start line and I'm not actually sure exactly where the finish line was, but shouldn't be radically different.)

No medal or t-shirt, but I did get an Asics gym bag and a plastic cup of orange squash. And a big PB. Woohoo!

I love Juneathon.

Distance: 6.22 miles
Time: 57:43
Splits: 9:23, 9:16, 9:15, 9:20, 9:15, 9:07, 2:07
Average pace: 9:17

Total Juneathon distance so far: 34.87 miles
Total Juneathon running time so far: 5:42:27

1 comment:

  1. Big fat well done to you , thats amazing keep it up girl x

    ReplyDelete