Friday 4 June 2010

Juneathon: Day 4

Maybe this running every day as per Juneathon is having a positive effect, even though it's only been 4 days, or maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't know, but fabulous run this evening. Didn't manage to get out till nearly 9pm, ran along the old railway line (didn't see the llama on this occasion but did see zillions of young rabbits nibbling grass and scooting back and forth across the path, very cute, wished I had taken camera), and then back along the main road. Felt great the whole way, even the first couple of miles which are usually horrible till I get warmed up, did feel I was flagging a bit in the last mile though actually managed it in fastest split time of whole run. Listening to Neil Young, XTC and early REM on my MP3 player. Barely thought about my pace the whole way and was surprised to find I had run 6.25 miles in 1:00:16 without particularly trying.

Now, can someone tell me why I can't manage a sub-60 10k in a race?

Distance: 6.25 miles
Time: 1:00:16
Splits: 10:03, 9:46, 9:42, 9:45, 9:28, 9:21
Average pace: 9:39

Total Juneathon distance so far: 15.55 miles
Total Juneathon running time so far: 2:32:41

4 comments:

  1. Probably mentally talk yourself out of a sub hour 10k like Jogblog does - go too easy to start, holding things back, and don't quite pick it up enough at the end. Try a pacemaker - it worked for JB at the Tottenham 5 two years ago, and Redbucket at Reading this year - you'll do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I suspect you're completely right - I panic about setting off too quick, instead set off too slow, and never quite manage to pace myself thereafter. Also get stupidly nervous before races which probably doesn't help.

    Have a 10k next week so will see how that goes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tip about a pacer is good.

    Also you do not necessarily completely blow-up if you go a little fast, you can ease back for a bit, recover and then build again. Try running fartleks in training so you know you can run faster, slower, faster.

    You will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks HK, I know you're right, I just seem to panic in a race situation :( I do do fartleks, intervals etc so I know (in theory) I can slow down and recover. But I think I must have psychological issues about races!

    ReplyDelete