Monday 7 June 2010

Juneathon: Day 7


Concluding the first week of Juneathon, and (nearly) a quarter of the way through, I thought it might be a good time to review how things have been going so far. I’ve run every day for a week – not quite on a par, admittedly, with Ron Hill running every day for 100 years, or however long it now is, but a first for me. My concerns a week ago were mainly around (a) finding the time to run (and blog), and (b) not overdoing it, since I’m not used to running or indeed doing any other form of exercise every day and I didn't want to either wear myself out completely or, worse, pick up an overuse injury. My hopes were, basically, to get fitter (and win all the prizes, obviously, but that goes without saying).

Anyway it may be tempting fate but: so far, so good. I've managed to run every day (albeit very short, easy efforts on the "in between" days) and I'm not knackered, or injured, in fact I have noticeably more energy. And it's probably too early to tell, but I think my running may be improving, as I seem to be able to maintain a faster pace for longer (cf. yesterday's long run and Friday's 10k). Fingers crossed it continues. I have a 10k race tomorrow so will be interested to see if I (a) blast my previous PB to smithereens, or (b) collapse and die.

Just to completely undermine all of the above, I didn't really feel like going out for a run tonight, as had attack of tiredness probably brought on by lack of sleep last night (daughter had nightmare at 2am which resulted in whole household having to wake up and then stay awake for ages trying to get her back to sleep). So once she was in bed tonight I more or less conked out and seriously considered not bothering to Juneathon. Then thought No! The gods of Juneathon (and the Independent Adjudicator) must be appeased! so got off my lazy backside and out for a very short and very slow jog along to the park and back. Saw a young deer peeping out from between the trees on the way back, which was worth going out for in itself.

Distance: 1.22 miles
Time: 13:01
Splits: 11:02, 1:59
Average pace: 10:40

Total Juneathon distance so far: 28:65
Total Juneathon running time so far: 4:44:44

1 comment: