Tuesday 22 June 2010

Juneathon: Day 22

Well, that was embarrassingly dire.

Was planning a long run today (last one before half marathon). It's hot, and I wasn't feeling great, and I thought Maybe I won't do a long run today or maybe I'll just do a shorter one than planned. Then I thought no, the half marathon day might be hot and I might not be feeling that great but I won't be able to just not do it or say I'm doing a shorter version instead. Or at least, I could, but it would be a bit rubbish and the people who have sponsored me might ask for their money back. So off I set in my shorts and Baker Hughes 10k race t-shirt with my water bottle and chewy sweet things and fully charged MP3 player, even though I hate carrying loads of stuff with me.

However. Two miles in, I was already knackered, hot, sweaty and my legs were killing me. Three miles in (this is the embarrassing bit), my thighs started chafing uncomfortably. I don't know why, I've worn those shorts before without incident, so I can only assume it was (a) due to the heat and general sweatiness, or (b) that my legs have suddenly, i.e. in the last few days, got significantly fatter (which seems unlikely). Whatever the reason it got sorer and sorer and I was reduced to a crappy walk/run type effort for the rest of the way home, and only managed six and a bit miles in a rubbish time, which is just shameful, and yes I am thoroughly ashamed of myself and my confidence has taken a definite knock because I need to do twice that distance next Sunday.

However at least I now know not to wear those shorts on race day. Or maybe I need to try that Bodyglide stuff?

Off for a good cry now.

Distance: 6.26 miles
Time: 1:04:51
Splits:
  • 10:16
  • 9:55
  • 10:07
  • 10:41
  • 10:34
  • 10:17
  • 2:21
Average pace: 10:22

Total Juneathon distance run so far: 86.63 miles
Total Juneathon running time so far: 14:15:18
Juneathon days completed: 22/30

3 comments:

  1. I know this sounds silly but this is a good thing! I always find it better to have my bad runs leading up to the race as the race will be better from the experience. The worst ones are when your training runs go swimmingly and then come race day, it's a really fight and effort and you hate every minute. You have a week and a half yet so you'll do brilliantly by then (and hopefully it'll have cooled down some what)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I hope the bad run today means a good race! Although at the moment it is feeling unlikely :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not only a case of bad dress rehearsal / good performance, it is also about finding out the kit that works and the bits that need Bodyglide.

    I am sure the race will go really well

    ReplyDelete