Monday 14 June 2010

Juneathon: Day 14

Today , and indeed this week, got off to a great start when I couldn’t start the car. Daughter had to get to nursery, I had to get to work. Car would not start. Key turned in ignition OK, engine turned over, but the reassuring sound of the engine firing was conspicuous by its absence. After ten frustrating minutes I gave up and called the AA, who assured me someone would be there within the hour. Daughter and I proceeded back into the house to while away the time playing with dinosaurs and washing the breakfast dishes (and harvesting my Farmville crops). AA man continued not to arrive. He finally materialised at 10.20, tried my key in the ignition, immediately asked me if I had a spare key, which I eventually hunted down among all the other spare keys, tried the spare key in the ignition, and lo and behold, the car started. How much of an idiot did I feel, knowing I could have got the car going in the first place by the simple expedient of trying the spare key (which never occurred to me for a second) and would not then have had to wait an hour and a half for AA man to solve the problem in five seconds. Apparently the old key had "lost its coding". Well, how was I to know? It looked the same...

So I finally made it to work, where I wasted some time reading Juneathon blogs and wondering how the Independent Adjudicator is going to decide the winner. If it goes on total miles run, or indeed entertainment level and professionalism of blog (or for that matter, considering the above start to the day, intelligence of blogger), I have no chance, even though I’m almost certain to do more miles this month than ever before. However, I do think Juneathon is having a positive effect. My legs don’t feel sore at all today despite yesterday’s 7-miler and I have tons of energy, despite having to stay up late last night to pick son up from his job at Cineworld at past midnight.

Anyway 14 days of Juneathon completed, 2 weeks of daily running, so I guess having come this far I'll just have to keep going. Unless I get injured, or ill, or drop dead, or something.

Just a short and (very) slow run today, though. In my defence it did involve hills. I still hate hills.

Remind me again why I'm doing this half marathon in less than three weeks?

Distance: 2.07 miles
Time: 22:12
Splits: 10:59, 10:25, 0:47
Average pace: 10:42

Total Juneathon distance run so far: 51.59 miles
Total Juneathon running time so far: 8:27:11

No comments:

Post a Comment