Saturday 15 January 2011

Eight miles high. (Or not)

I decided to have a go at 8 miles today, since I haven't done any runs of longer than about 10k since [checks back] November *gulp* and it's about time I started building up my distance again if marathon training isn't going to come as a complete shock to the system. To be honest I already can't remember how it felt to do 18-20 mile runs during last year's marathon training, because a measly 8 today felt like hard work. I did get into more of a rhythm after the first few hillyish miles and started to quite enjoy it around half way, but I wouldn't say it was one of my better runs. Legs felt heavy for a fair bit of the time and I just didn't have that much energy. Maybe Janathon is finally catching up with me. Or maybe it's just one of those days.

Had a look at last year's Juneathon Day 15 for comparison purposes and it was interesting to see that on that day I ran 11 miles, my furthest ever run at that point, as part of my half-marathon training. Amazing to think I've run a whole marathon since then. I also tried my first energy gel on that day, and they didn't taste any nicer then than they do now.

Have signed up for a half marathon in March - I ran the 10k there last year, but have no idea what the half will be like. It should fit nicely into my Edinburgh Marathon training, though. Even if after today, the thought of running 13 miles - let alone 26.2 - seems quite far away.

On the positive side, most of the ice has gone :)



Today's stats:

Distance: 8.11 miles
Time: 1:20:37
Splits: * 10:40
* 10:52
* 9:47
* 9:43
* 9:16
* 9:47
* 9:42
* 9:54

Average pace: 9:56

Total Janathon miles run so far: 62.23 (which is already 20 miles more than I ran in THE WHOLE OF January last year despite being only halfway through!)

8 comments:

  1. well done, you are half way through now keep it up :) pretty good stats you are showing now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the stats, really well done, I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the 8. With you on the gels, they are digusting aren't they, I just dont seem to be able to swallow them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great run today, great split times!

    My mates ran the edinburgh Marathon last year it was boiling and the event ran out of water! :(

    Make sure you take some spare when you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow over 60 miles at halfway, well done! Aiming for 120 at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 120 by the end would be fab. I think I managed 116 in Juneathon last year, so will be happy with anything above that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I'm so impressed! The whole aiming for a marathon concept (especially when you've done one already) is so much more than I can conceive of thinking about ... In fact the whole marathon-janathon bod vs me could be the theme of a future blog I reckon! After all when doing a mile counts as a major success, there's not much to write about ... Whereas all your stats and proper analysis - I'm impressed as i say. One day ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has good and bad days of energy, don't over assess it you'll be fine...if you need any advice you might find a tip or two from www.marathon-trainingschedule.com website.
    Cheers and good luck, ps what watch are you using?

    ReplyDelete