Wednesday 26 January 2011

New shoes + mud + no sense of direction

Day 26 and hurrah! a new pair of trail shoes arrived in the post, courtesy of I Run Because I Love Food. Well, strictly speaking they arrived yesterday, but I was out at work, so the postman put a card through the door. Also on this card was a confession that he had accidentally put two other, smaller parcels through the door of a neighbour on the next street. Who happens to be on holiday. Grrrr. I'll have to do without my Graze box for a while then, and it was a particularly nice one too.

Anyway, I picked up the shoe parcel from the post office this morning in great excitement, and very nice they are too. I'm planning a longer trail run at the weekend to try them out properly as I'd only planned a short run this morning, but the shoes and I went on a little jaunt together up a muddy hill and along the path and then I departed from the path slightly to have a look at some building work (where there didn't seem to be much work going on but several men were sitting around in vans) and unfortunately like an idiot got slightly lost and finished up doing 2.87 muddy miles rather than the intended 2. Will write a detailed shoe review later once I've been on a longer run, but can report that they seemed to cope well with the churned up mud around the building site where no building was being done.

Day 26 stats:

Distance: 2.87
Time: 27:26
Pace: 9:34
Splits: 9:16, 10:13, 7:57

Total Janathon miles so far: 111.76
Plank record of the day: 45 seconds

7 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to hear if they make a difference, I just wear the same shoes all the time.
    Impressive plank record!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think keeping the mud and wetness on the outside of the shoes rather than drenching my feet and socks (as happened on yesterday's run) might prove to be one of the main differences.

    Plank record is only impressive compared to the 10 seconds I was managing a few days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - glad you got them and have christened them appropriately. Keep on running...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the plank effort!

    Make sure you clean the new shoes, look forward to the review as I need some new off road shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just baptized a brand new pair of shoes myself today in a crazy wintry mix. Good traction, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plank effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it with us runners and our first run in our new shoes ... don't you just love 'em!!

    To bad about your Graze box going astray. I just found out about Graze and started getting the weekly boxes and love the variety and the tastes! I'd never snack on such healthy foods on such a regular basis (!), if I didn't have the Graze box!!

    ReplyDelete