Saturday 8 January 2011

Would you like more ice with that? No thanks.

Had planned an easy few miles today ahead of tomorrow's 10k (assuming it's on) - well, it was a few miles (3 and a bit to be precise) but it wasn't easy, thanks to underfoot conditions which were even worse than yesterday! Another load of snow last night didn't help. I set off along the same route as yesterday, then turned the other way along the railway line, intending to extend my run a bit before turning round for home. However, after half a mile of ice during which I continually felt my feet slipping under me, expended more energy staying upright than moving forward and frequently had to run on the grass verge which was also far from ideal, there was no way I was retracing my steps so I decided to keep going to the point where the path meets the road and run back home along the road instead. So that's what I did. Unfortunately this involves a big hill - well, not that big really, but it looked big and it felt big to me today - and the pavements still weren't great so I often had to run in the road. Made it home alive, somehow.

Just for interest, I've been thinking of having a fitness assessment done at the plush new Sports Village. I thought it would be enlightening to see what it comes up with. Anyone had something similar?

Today's stats:

Distance: 3.19 miles
Time: 33:14
Average pace: 10:25
Janathon miles so far: 29.87

3 comments:

  1. Its a challenge every time you go out in january, bloody british weather. The fact is you are out there doing it so good on ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a great run there, wait for those beautiful sunny crisp sunny sunday mornings in February I can't wait - love them. Long runs me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you, sounds like a nightmare! Well done for managing to stay upright and for not falling over. Hope the weather improves for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete