Sunday 23 January 2011

Quiet heart

I had 9 miles planned today, which would represent my longest run in quite some time. I dug out my heart rate monitor, also for the first time in ages, and made the decision that today I was going to do my best to not think about pace at all and just concentrate on keeping my heart rate at a manageable level. This is because while I *know* I should be running slower on long runs especially during marathon training, that it's not so much about pace as about time on feet, I have an awful habit of continually looking at my Garmin and thinking I was quicker than this last time and I really should speed up a bit.

To this end I set my watch to show heart rate only and set off along the railway line, my intention being to check distance only occasionally (so I knew at what point to turn back) and to check pace not at all. This worked pretty well, actually (with another episode of Marathon Talk on my MP3 player to provide distraction) and while my heart rate did drift very gradually upwards as the miles went on, I managed to keep it at a reasonable level most of the time. Had a really pleasant and comfortable run (if wet, muddy and still icy in places), enjoying views over the fields and later the river, never felt particularly tired or inclined to stop, and was quite surprised to find at the end that my pace was still a fairly respectable (for me) long run pace of 10:12/mile.

Today's stats:

Distance: 9.09 miles
Time: 1:32:42
Splits:
* 10:32
* 9:54
* 10:00
* 10:23
* 10:17
* 10:23
* 10:39
* 10:00
* 9:50

Average pace: 10:12

Total Janathon miles so far: 99.21

7 comments:

  1. great mileage!

    just short of the 100! Well done!

    I think I need to look up this marathon talk stuff, It sounds like it makes you run the 9+ miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great running Sheri, well done. Looks like tomorrow will give you your century! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to look at my Garmin for speed just miles, when I'm on a long run and look at the speed think God thats slow and try and pick it up, but thats not the idea of a long run! Almost at the century mark! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. So close to the 100, that's great! Not tempted to go and do the last 0.8?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the long run and the impressive total so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Sheri on a great run. Doing runs and listening to your body can be so beneficial rather than looking at the clock / mileage and then your head gets involved thinking you need to pick up the pace!

    Tomorrow you'll cross that 100 mile marker ... very exciting!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had I realised I was on 99.2 miles, I might well have been tempted to add on another 0.8... I'm not going to go and do it now, though! :)

    ReplyDelete