Thursday 20 January 2011

Another day, another 5k on the treadmill...

Back in the gym for day 19 Juneathon effort. It wasn't as busy as Monday, in fact there weren't many people there at all. I'm starting to think I should make an effort to pick one treadmill and try to use it every time, though, since I swear all six of them are calibrated differently and 5k on one bears little relation to 5k on another. Of course, if I do do this, sod's law will inevitably dictate that every time I go, my chosen 'mill will be occupied by somebody walking very slowly for ages. Bring on the lighter nights when I won't have to go to the gym in order to run in the evening and can use it for cross-training like wot I intended when I joined. Having said that, though, I'm kind of enjoying the dreadmill when I use it, although I wouldn't want to be on it every day. I'm doing around 5k of intervals (including a warm-up), at between around 6.6mph and 7mph for the intervals and then down to 6mph for the recovery.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to do more cross-training, but I've been very poor at sticking to that one. Have done a bit (and I mean a bit) of weight training in the gym, and an even smaller bit of "Yoga for Runners" from my book, and, er, that's about it. I even bought some weights to use at home, but I haven't used them much so far. When I start my marathon schedule at the end of January, it dictates 1 or 2 days cross-training per week, so hopefully that will give me a bit more motivation to actually do some. Hopefully.

Day 19 stats:

Distance: 3.3 miles
Time: 30:06
Average pace: 9:07
Total Janathon miles so far: 77.61

Current weight: 9st 11
Total weight loss: 8lb (but am ravenous today for some reason)

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the new year recruiters have given up already! I wish they would in my local pool, its been rammed since the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8lbs!!!! WoooWeeee! Well done! I think I need some cross training in... it clearly works... either that or you're much better than me at abstaining! I'm going with the gym... the gym would make a difference, nothing to do with my lack of will power!

    keep going! only 11 days to go!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete