Tuesday 18 January 2011

Running on the spot

Just a quick blog post this morning, as I didn't get around to blogging after the gym last night. Yes, it was back to the dreadmill for me, as I had no chance to get out during the day, so off I went to the gym to investigate whether the January influx continued apace or whether they had started flagging yet. There were still quite a few people there, not as many as last time, but more than usual for 9pm on a Monday... The only other person on the treadmills, though, was the same Chinese man I saw last time, still wearing loads of clothes (shirt, warm-looking sweatshirt, long trousers). If I tried to run for even 5 minutes in all those clothes, in the already warm gym, I would probably faint. It didn't seem to bother him though.

Ran 5k-and-a-bit on the treadmill. I know it's not what people usually say, but I find the treadmill much harder work than running outside. I think it's a combination of there being nothing to look at except my own increasingly beetroot-like reflection in the mirror (why do they have to put mirrors there?), it being hot in the gym with no breeze to cool you down so you sweat more, and the fact that I'm convinced those treadmills are not accurately calibrated... Whatever the reason, running at a similar pace to outside feels like much harder work.

I quite enjoyed it, though.

Day 17 stats:

Distance: 3.34 miles
Time: 30:11
Average pace: 9:02
Splits: 9:26
8:55
8:48

Total Janathon miles so far: 67.79

5 comments:

  1. Excellent work: 67 miles is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same. I find treadmills really difficult. I really struggle after about 30 mins! Well done on the mileage, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done I cant run on treadmills they make dizzy. mybe your fellow treadmiller is trying to sweat it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely hate the treadmill... I never last more than 10 minutes on one and that's pushing it... for all the reasons you said, but mostly just plain boredom... I'm easily bored and need my scenery to keep me amused... my sweaty face just doesn't cut it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Maggiee about hating treadmills ... I get bored easily!

    So, good on you Sheri for sticking to it and getting a 5K in ... well done!!

    ReplyDelete