Friday 14 January 2011

Thinking ahead

The end of Janathon (though at just under halfway through, that's still feeling like some time away) should segue nicely into the beginning of my marathon training, about which I have been doing some thinking. Suddenly 22 May doesn't seem *that* far away, all things considered, and I need to decide which 16-week schedule I'm going to follow. Although at the moment I'm worrying more about transport and accommodation arrangements than the actual race itself.

I'm seriously considering attempting a sub-4:30 schedule. This may sound foolishly ambitious given that my current PB (in my only marathon so far) is 4:55:07, but bear in mind that (a) that was on a hilly course and Edinburgh is fairly flat (though heat may be a problem); and (b) my 10k and half-marathon PBs (the latter also on a hilly course) suggest that sub-4:30 shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for me. I've had a look at a schedule, and it looks doable for me in terms of the suggested paces and distances. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Just an easy 3 mile run today, along the road and back, due to limited time. Not too much ice apart from that which seems to extend in a half-mile radius from my house in all directions.

Distance: 3.02 miles
Time: 28:07
Average pace: 9:19
Splits: 9:59, 9:19, 8:38

Total Janathon miles so far: 54.12
Juneathon Day 14 equivalent: 51.49 miles

7 comments:

  1. I'm no expert with marathon running - but I'm gunning for a sub-4hr finish this year (PB is currently 4hr 44) - not certain if this is a stupid idea or not!

    I'm working on I've run 2 marathons without any focus on speedwork, no cross training and only running 3 times per week - so I'm hoping more effort in my training will help me (running 4-5 times per week, swimming x 3 and getting a bike ride in as well).

    If I were you, I'd start off with the 4hr 30 plan and see how it goes...

    Good luck with whatever you choose and I'll see you in Edinburgh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No expert but have done 2 marathons in 4.30 ish and think your currect speed will bring you in around that if not under. Checked your profile, seems we have things in common - in 40's, 2 kids one big one smallish and work for Essex county council. New to running 6 years agon. Good luck with your taining and Janathon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SERunner and Shazruns :) I did finish Loch Ness feeling I could've done better, but that hill in the second half just about killed me. I would *love* to knock 25-30 minutes off my time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know(well, I've heard of) a lot of people who have been able to knock half an hour off their marathon time from the first to the second marathon. The experience of the first one really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran Dublin last year in 3.43, before this my best time was 4.38. I did this by using a plan called Furman First, which is a mix between repeat training, tempo runs and long runs. The beauty of it was that you only run 3 times a week and your mileage is less than that required by other programmes. There is a book on it called Run Less Run Faster and I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comment above marked 'Deirdre' was from me - I keep making the mistake of commenting while I'm logged in as my wife!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's OK Deirdre ;)

    Sounds interesting, I've heard of Furman First but wasn't sure what it was. I'll look out for the book.

    ReplyDelete