Sunday 2 June 2013

Juneathon Day 2: So long, and thanks for all the fish custard

Sorry, I just had to get that in there. I won't mention it again.

*weeps uncontrollably*

I ran 11.15 miles today along the old railway line, out and back, with a negative split of nearly 2 minutes! This is the longest run I have done for a while (did 10 last week). It was lovely. A bit warm on the unshaded bits. Listening to Big Finish Short Trips which kept me going nicely. I saw loads of people, including an entire family out running (dad pushing double buggy, followed by child on bike, followed by mum with dog). Lots of people on bikes. Girl wearing Where's Wally style woolly hat (?!) taking her pony for a walk.

Now that I'm marathon training again (Loch Ness on 29 Sept) I thought I'd better get a bit more organised on trying out different fuelling options, because during my last couple of marathons I have suffered what is politely termed Digestive Discomfort, including vomiting profusely during Loch Ness last year, feeling awful and walking most of the second half. I wouldn't necessarily take anything during an 11 mile run normally, but in the interests of research I tried a SIS lemon gel at half way, which was OK. Also took a bottle of water (in my waist thingy) with a Nuun tablet in it.

Earlier in the week I noticed For Goodness Shakes chocolate recovery drink milkshake fancypants whatnots were half price in Sainsbury's, so I bought a couple, and took one when I came back from my run today. It was really rather nice. Whether it makes any difference, or any more difference than a large glass of milk might, I don't know, but having spent the rest of the afternoon scrambling over rocks and peering into rock pools with the little one (we found starfish but no crabs), my legs feel pretty good, so maybe it does. (Also managed to drop my phone into a rock pool, which weirdly seems to have actually improved its performance.)

Stats: 11.15 miles in 1:57:24 (10:32 pace). Last 4k at marathon pace: 6:04, 6:11, 6:18, 6:15. (Have new watch and haven't figured out how to change it from kilometres to miles yet. But I rather like the kilometres, they pass quicker.) Happy with that.


1 comment:

  1. Digestive discomfort....nicely put! Sounds horrible. I wouldn't know as I run too slowly for much to jiggle about! I'm thinking of going to find a rock pool as my phone is pants at the moment! Happy Juneathon x

    ReplyDelete