Wednesday 19 May 2010

Still more frustration

So, thought I would "celebrate" the glorious new Tory (sorry, sorry, sorry, Con-Dem) government by first doing my back in, and then, once that was better, developing a really unpleasant cold. Hence running has been a bit rubbish the last couple of weeks, which is, of course, completely to be expected when I have the Baker Hughes 10k on Sunday at which I am COMPLETELY DETERMINED to break the prestigious one-hour barrier. But I really haven't done that much training in the last 2 weeks. I've done a bit - seven miles last Tuesday, a 3-mile run on the treadmill on Thursday and 4 and a half miles of intervals on Saturday. But my planned long run on Sunday had to be abandoned as I was prostrated by the cold, and a combination of work and feeling lousy has meant no runs at all this week. Hope to get out tonight in the always unlikely event that husband is home at a reasonable time, and again either tomorrow or Friday.

Rather strangely, the souvenir race t-shirt (enormous, as usual) arrived before the race, in a race pack which also contained the timing chip and a race number which was possibly the single most crumpled object I have ever seen in my life. I even considered ironing it, which should give a clue as to how crumpled it really was, since I rarely consider ironing anything if it can possibly be avoided. (Obviously, I'm not actually going to iron it. It was just a thought.) I'm gathering a fair collection of race t-shirts now... shame they're invariably massive.

Possible uses for souvenir race t-shirts:

1. Emergency tent
2. Emergency maternity wear for woman carrying octuplets
3. Bargain wedding marquee

Anyway, 10k in less than 1 hour. Can it be done? Is it really possible for a human being to run THAT FAST without spontaneously combusting? Watch this space. And don't hold your breath.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blogsite - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about T-shirts. I've run London twice and the T-shirts I got must have been made for 18st rugby players. Having won the MV60 category on both occasions I'd wear those T-shirts with a certain amount of pride - if only they'd fit!
    Keep running and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your website I agree with you on the t shirts, in fact I just turfed a lot out. I was wondering why I had no space in my running space in the wardrobe and then it dawned all of those race t shirts which I never wear because they are usually cotton

    Cheers Paul

    ReplyDelete