Friday 31 December 2010

Happy Hogmanay, and Janathon thoughts

My first full year of running (only started part-way through 2009) is nearly at an end and it's been a pretty good year all in all - first marathon, first half, first 10-mile race (that one didn't go terribly well), and PBs at all distances. Still not fast, but not last either, and hoping to see some improvements in 2011.

Recent weather conditions have forced me into the gym, where I've been learning to love the treadmill... well, "love" is putting it a bit strongly. "Hate a bit less" would be more accurate. It's not my first preference, and contrary to what many people seem to find, it always feels like much harder work than outside, but it has its plus points, a non-slippery running surface being a key one.

Gearing up now for Janathon and I think this is going to be a challenge. Having successfully completed and enjoyed Juneathon last year (I came 3rd! I won a prize!) I signed up for Janathon without too much thought, basically thinking it would be more of the same. But it won't be more of the same, because Juneathon was in June when the weather was OK and the evenings were light and I could fit in some shorter runs late in the evening, and Janathon is in January when it gets dark half way through the day and the weather is uniformly horrible (not necessarily a problem in itself, except when outdoor conditions are actually unrunnable in, which has been the case for much of December). So given that running on the spot while waiting for the kettle to boil probably doesn't count, fitting in daily runs could well prove to be an even greater challenge.

I like a challenge though.

Happy New Year, however you choose to spend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment