Monday 25 April 2011

Training/panicking update...

So, my Edinburgh marathon training, having got off to a good start following Dave Kuehls' programme (not that I'm aiming for 4 hours, I don't think that's realistic for me at the moment), then faltered a bit due to dodgy knee problems. I'm still not 100% confident about knee (it isn't twinge-free yet), but running doesn't seem to aggravate it unduly and physio says I'm OK to run, so I'm kind of back on track (as opposed to back on "the" track, where I haven't been for ages).

I managed an 18 mile run last week with relatively little problem, and an 8 mile tempo run at 9-minute mile pace last Tuesday, which is the fastest 8 miles I've ever done by loads, but I'm a bit anxious, for some reason, about tomorrow's planned 20 miler. It's been quite warm today - hopefully tomorrow will be cooler. I'm going to have to do it anyway as I've booked the day off work and it's the only long-run opportunity I'll have this week. Assuming I survive it, I'll hopefully do another 20 or thereabouts the following week and then start tapering...

Not feeling as well prepared as I could be, or had hoped to be, but fingers crossed by marathon time I will have done enough to get me round in a reasonable time. I know I'll be disappointed if I don't get a PB, and I think a PB is very doable given my current one, but I know some factors (the weather, mainly) will be out of my control.

Haven't even started thinking about the logistics of the whole thing yet - B&B is booked, but travelling there, travelling home, seeing people before/during/after the race, etc etc is all still in the realms of mystery at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Nobody EVER feels that they are as prepared for a marathon as they can be and those that say they are are lying. Hopefully Edinburgh will be cool this year as its been about 25C the past 3 years.
    You'll be fine though.

    Ps. If you need a lift ( I'm no axe murderer ! ) I'm driving down from Aberdeen on Saturday back Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I've only done the one but I certainly didn't feel prepared and my friends at club were all pretty much saying the same thing. You're definitely more prepared than you think you are... think PRB! :-)

    ReplyDelete