Wednesday 29 September 2010

Taper madness

Final countdown is now on (dadadaa-da, etc). Head is spinning with logistical arrangements, what to pack, when to pack it, which trainers to wear, what music to put on my MP3 player, etc. Making lists of stuff to do gives me the illusion of being in some kind of control, as the harsh reality that I’m going to have to RUN 26.2 MILES on SUNDAY has not yet fully sunk in. And probably won’t, until I’m halfway along the course and thinking oh shit, I’ve got another 13 miles to go and my legs are already giving up the ghost.

Thinking this way is obviously Not Allowed as according to them what know, you have to do positive visualisation of how great it’s going to be, imagine yourself going strongly at various points, pacing correctly, crossing the finishing line in the desired time, etc etc. I don’t seem to be very good at this. When I try to visualise me running the marathon the positive images which I try to force into my head are constantly elbowed out of the way by visions of conking out in exhaustion before the first mile marker, pulling up with cramp, getting an unshakeable stitch, collapsing in a heap and getting trampled by other runners, etc. This isn't helped by the onset of anxiety dreams where I forget my trainers, forget my race number, can't find the way to Inverness, etc etc. Or somehow manage to forget all my clothes and have to run in my nightie.

The other notable aspect of this week is the number of aches and pains which have suddenly appeared. So far I've had a twingey knee, achey shins and sore foot, all of which have mysteriously appeared and equally mysteriously subsequently vanished. Also, I seem to have the most incredible ravenous appetite. Carb-loading is all very well, but at this rate I'll be standing on the start line two stone heavier than usual. Which is never good.

The weather I'm not worrying about yet, since there's sod-all I can do about it. It's a horrible day here today, torrential rain and strong winds. Since my last, longest run was in similar conditions, I'm not unduly concerned about wind and rain, although I suppose freezing sleet directly into your face for 26 miles might not be entirely fun. A cool, breezy day with a little light rain would suit me just fine.

Remind me why I'm doing this again? Actually, why am I doing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment